Staff | Program on Climate Change
I am the Assistant Director for the Program on Climate Change. I work with the PCC Director and advisory boards, advise undergraduates interested in pursing the climate minor and graduate students as they define their Graduate Certificate in Climate Science capstone projects. I am responsible for maintaining the PCC office and website, program budget and communications, and event creation. I also enjoy curriculum and workshop development, and bringing current climate science to high school teachers.
Example Advsing Roles:
- Collaborator, Graduate Capstone Project, Ashley Bagley, SMEA. Climate Change Basics for Environmental Educators. 2019. Blog post.
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, Charlotte Dohrn and Hanna Miller, SMEA, Taking Action on Ocean Acidification: Pathways for States, 2020
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, Hayley Dosser, OCEAN, Connecting an Observational Oceanography cruise to Climate Research through Outreach, 2015
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, James Lee, SMEA, Communicating the Benefits of Novel Restoration Techniques to Promote Climate Change Literacy and Action (2021)
- GCeCS Collaborator, Graduate Capstone Project, Susannah Maher, SMEA, Communicating and Collaborating Across Difference, 2020.
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, Amy Olsen, SMEA, Lightning Talks: Sea Otters!, 2021
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, Kristen Poinar, ESS, Climate Change, Place-Based Geology, and Restoration along the Burke-Gilman Trail, 2015
- GCeCS Adviser, Graduate Capstone Project, Zoe van Duivenbode, Co-creating Climate Change Education Materials with Immigrant and Refugee Communities in King County, WA, 2019
Relevant Publications and Blogs:
- Climate Science for the Classroom, edited by Miriam Bertram and Surabhi Biyani, (2019) https://uw.pressbooks.pub/climate (https://dx.doi.org/10.6069/FHY9-DK97)
- Bertram, M. A., L. Thompson, J. W. Murray, C. Bretherton, and C. Bitz (2019), Preparing graduate students for 21st century climate conversations , Eos, 100, https://doi.org/10.1029/2019EO115265. Published on 07 February 2019.
- The Program on Climate Change Winter Welcome 2020. In the Time Before. 4/5.2020
- "If I were going to blog... " 1/23/2017
- "The Program on Climate Change: Moving Forward" 11/28/2016